Saturday, November 7, 2009

Taiko Drill Part 57, Bachi as a Metronome

Welcome back! Let's keep going with the timing theme...

Focus: Timing, Rhythm
Watch For:
1. Is the bachi (or arm) that's keeping the downbeat moving around, or steadily in one place?
2. Pay attention to volume--both hands should sound equal!

Here's the pattern:

don (X8 with one hand)
doko (X8 alternating hands)

You can choose to switch the base hand each time, or just practice with one. In the video, you'll see me alternate by finishing the pattern with a double stroke.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Carrie! Love your blog! My name's Aaron. I'm a West African djembe and dunun drummer from Connecticut. My company and I have noticed that our large cylindrical dunun drums seem very similar to your katsugi drums, and we've been trying to figure out how to incorporate some Japanese rhythms into our own. Could you recommend some good resources to listen to specific Taiko rhythms broken down? We've also been looking for Taiko groups with which to collaborate. Where are you folks located, and could you recommend any groups and/or teachers in the New York/Boston/Connecticut area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron! Thanks for reading! I am not aware of any resource that breaks down the basic Japanese taiko patterns. In fact, just as you're attempting to do, taiko often borrows rhythms from other music, so this is a difficult question in itself.

    There are 10 videos (Taiko Ten) on my YouTube page from the North American Taiko Conference (August)which demonstrates a variety of groups and styles which may be a good starting place.

    As far as a teacher for you and your company, you have a few options, but it depends on your situation and needs. Can you email me directly about this? Just click on my profile picture in the top left corner to access my address.

    (PS. To improve upon my lack of clarity, "katsugi" is actually the style of playing that particular drum. The drum itself is more commonly known as "oke daiko" or "okedo")

    ReplyDelete