Saturday, September 12, 2009

Taiko Drill Part 49, Improvising Accents (pre-lesson)

Whoa--I don't know about where you live, but it's suddenly turned from sunny Summer to cloudy Fall around here. Hopefully a little taiko will bring some sunshine to your day!

Focus: Rhythm
Watch For:
1. Check-in on whether or not you have an even balance between the left and right hands.

Today's drill is simple in explanation because I'd like you to be comfortable with it before we add the next step. So, play the following pattern through 10 minutes every day and I'll add the challenge next Friday!

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 & 8 &
don
tsu ku do ko don
do ko do ko don tsu ku

Don't worry about any emphasis for the hits, just get the pattern in your mind and body. Remember Red means Right and Black means Left.

Here's the video version on my drum pad (info video coming soon):



Next week, I'll be posting from the Pacific Northwest. Check back to see if I'm lucky enough to capture some taiko action on video there!

No comments:

Post a Comment